Lifestyle, Pregnancy & Baby

Nolan’s Birth Story

Nolan's Birth Story

I am very happy to introduce my baby boy Nolan to you!

He was born on February 15, at 9:32 AM weighing 8 pounds 9.5 oz and was 21 inches long.

On February 7, I had my 40 week OB appointment which I honestly, and my doctor too, didn’t think I would hit. At my appointment, I found out that I wasn’t dilated and clearly baby boy was very comfortable staying where he was. Since I wasn’t dilated and hit the 40-week mark, my doctor scheduled me for induction a week later and to be honest I was a bit sad as I really wanted to go into labour naturally. Still, there was hope that it may happen before my induction date but Valentine’s Day finally came and still no signs of labour. I was now 41 weeks and it certainly felt like it too and was ready to meet my son. I was told that the hospital would call me on my induction take and tell me when to come in and if I didn’t hear from them by 3:00 that I was to call them. I got no sleep the night before because I was so anxious, nervous and excited. I had my phone by me the entire morning waiting for it to ring, but 3:00 came and I gave them a call to see if there was any updates. I was told that there weren’t any available beds at the moment and to check back at 8 pm that evening. 15 minutes before 8, I get a call from the hospital saying that they were ready for me to come in and get the show on the road. It was finally happening!

My fiance and I were sitting on the couch when we got the call, and we just sat there for a moment soaking it all in. It was time! We quickly put on our coats, packed our hospital bags in the car and off we went to the hospital. We arrived just before 8:30 and were checked into the Labour & Assessment unit and I was then hooked up to monitors so they could track babies heart rate. After that, a doctor came in and explained that they would be using Cervidil, a cervical gel that ripens the cervix, to try and get labour started. However, when they checked me it turned out that I was 2 cm dilated so they were going to put me into a birthing suite and go straight into breaking my water.

Nolan's Birth Story

Since there were so many ladies that went into labour that day, hence the late arrival at the hospital, I didn’t get into my birthing suite until after midnight. I was running off only a few hours sleep from the night before and I was very tired at this point. The room was extremely nice and I was then hooked up again to some monitors while I was waiting. At 1:20, the doctor came in and it was finally time for them to break my water. It was honestly the most awkward feeling ever and something I’ll never forget. About an hour later I was started on Pitocin, which is something that I was not looking forward to in the slightest, and my contractions picked up very quickly. It started off as light period-like cramps, very manageable, to excruciating pain in the span of 2 hours. My contractions were starting to come on top of each other and I didn’t even have a chance to relax.

When the pain got to be too much I asked for an epidural and had the most amazing anesthesiologist and nurse anyone could ask for. I was told to lean forward while hugging a pillow, and to be extremely still while they were doing the procedure. My nurse held onto my shoulders and was extremely supportive, telling me that I was doing amazing and I can’t thank her enough for that. They talked me through the entire procedure, explaining what they were doing, and it honestly was not painful in the slightest. Almost instantly I felt the pain from the contractions subside drastically and I was finally able to catch my breath and relax.

Nolan's Birth Story

The epidural numbed me pretty well, mostly on my right hand side, but I could still feel a bit on my left which apparently is common, but this turned out to be an advantage in the end. If the pain picked up too much, I was able to push a button and give myself an extra dose which was really helpful and I was then left to try and get some sleep. I only got about an hour or so of sleep as I had nurses coming in from time to time, checking in on me and checking my dilation. I went from 3 cm dilated to 9 1/2 cm in just the span of a few hours and before I knew it I was told that it was time for me to start pushing. At this point I was feeling very ill from the drugs that I threw up quite a few times which wasn’t pleasant.

I did a few rounds of pushing before my doctor came in and found that baby’s body was transverse and that he’d need to be turned. This was the most painful part of my entire delivery and caused me to bleed quite a bit. Once he was turned he was finally starting to progress down, but with every contraction I was having his heart rate was dropping. After about 20-30 minutes of pushing they said that they were going to get the vacuum ready because he needed to come out as soon as possible because of his heart rate, but luckily after three more pushes he finally came out without any intervention which was such a relief.

When he was placed on my chest it was truly the most remarkable thing I have ever experienced in my life and I felt so complete. I couldn’t believe that he was finally here and I was holding him, staring at his beautiful face and him looking back up at me with his beautiful blue eyes. I couldn’t help but cry because he was the most adorable thing that I had ever seen, and I had never seen my fiance so happy. I unfortunately during delivery developed a tear (ouch) so recovery has been difficult for me, but I am working through it. It’s all been worth it now that Nolan is finally here!

I want to thank all of you that have sent me such lovely messages on Twitter and Instagram wishing us well. I am so extremely excited to be starting this new chapter in my life and sharing it with you here!

Thank you so much for reading!


Catch up with me on Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Bloglovin



(Visited 32 times, 1 visits today)
Previous Post

You may also like

  • He’s so lovely, you must be very happy andou proud of him. I wish you the best and sending you hugs! <3

    Michelle Morchella

  • He’s such a beautiful baby! Congrats! Loved reading your story!

    Hope //

  • He’s a beauty! Your birth story is amazing, and sounds particularly stressful. A similar story happened with my sister-in-law and her baby, he was two weeks overdue and so they had to induce. He wouldn’t come out via the vagina so they had to do an emergency c-section as his heart rate was dropping rapidly. Everything ended well.

    Oh, your baby’s birthday is on the same day as my mum’s! I can’t get over how beautiful and serene Nolan looks!

    Stephii Mattea xx

  • Congratulations to you both, he’s beautiful! Wishing you a speedy recovery and sending lots of love ♥ xx